The Whitesboro Fire Department is a 100% volunteer fire department.
We provide fire and EMS services to the 13,500 residents of the Village of Whitesboro and the Town of Whitestown. We don’t just save lives and property – we also save each of us hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars a year, by providing the most important part of any emergency response – the trained rescuers – for free. Every day, the dedicated men and women of the Whitesboro Volunteer Fire Department proudly put their lives on hold to answer a neighbor’s call for help – a fact that distinguishes the volunteer fire service from other municipal services.
Serving our community for over 125 years as well as providing mutual aid to communities that surround our department, allows our men and women the opportunity to train and work with some of the best volunteer firefighters around using state-of-the-art equipment 24/7.
We pride ourselves on our Restricted Access Member Program accepting 16 and 17-year-olds into this positive youth program. These volunteers perform limited activities in accordance with New York State law and safety regulations, but they gain a mentor who will assist them in their future. We are pleased to share that several have progressed through our Restricted Access Member program and have entered into a college fire protection technology program leading them to a career in the fire service.
More Than Just A Fire Department
As a volunteer member of the Whitesboro Volunteer Fire Department, you will have the honor of serving your community in emergencies. Additionally, all members work with other highly trained, motivated, and dedicated volunteers and interact with numerous local, state, and national fire and rescue organizations, including the Firefighters Association of the State of New York (FASNY).
Interested volunteers should bring a passion for the mission and a desire to make a difference. We invite you to join our team.
Benefits to Our Volunteers
As a volunteer member of the Whitesboro Volunteer Fire Department, you will have the honor of serving your community in emergencies. Additionally, all members work with other highly trained, motivated, and dedicated volunteers and interact with numerous local, state, and national fire and rescue organizations.
- Lifelong friendships and the camaraderie of a busy firehouse
- Respect and admiration of your community and the people you serve
- Opportunities for growth, personal development, and advancement
- Fulfilling and rewarding experiences in serving as part of a team
- Personal protective equipment and uniform apparel are provided at no cost to you
- Initial and annual medical physicals paid for by the Department
- Free training and ongoing professional development through in-house, county, state, and national learning opportunities
- Length of Service Retirement plan
- State Income Tax Credit
- Critical Illness Policy
- Accidental Death & Disability Insurance
- Presumptive Cancer Insurance Coverage
- Firefighter/EMS Provider of the Year and Commendation Recognition Dinner
- Firefighter family activities
- Membership in the National Volunteer Fire Council and the Firefighters Association of the state of New York
Start Early - Start Today
- Selected fire rescue and EMS career paths
- Leadership and decision-making skills
- Teamwork and communication
- The benefits of public service
- Fostering positive relationships with first responders
- The challenges and demands associated with the fire rescue and EMS profession